|Lightning Red with the Darcy Perry Blues Band,|
Whangarei Jazz & Blues Festival, NZ, 2005.
The August show is dedicated to Texan Bluesman 'Lightning Red'. I had the pleasure of getting to know him while he was in New Zealand. Red was a genuine human being, a wonderful musician and good friend. He enjoyed playing with my band and we enjoyed his company and stories about Texas blues.
Red, thanks for sharing your gifts with us and showing me how to get the best Texas tones from my amp. God bless you and your family. Rest in peace my friend.
"Lightning Red (Wayne Bak) musical artist died July 6th at the age of 67 of heart problems and prostate cancer.
He was a blues artist who performed nationally and internationally touring England, Ireland, Switzerland, France, Scandinavia, Croatia, Germany, Holland, and Australia and New Zealand. He played electric guitar, was a song writer, sang and fronted his own band for 50 years.
He recorded 8 albums of original music. His entire life was shaped by an insatiable passion for the blues. It’s all he ever played. He is considered a great blues artist by many across the world.
Red and his wife came to Austin in 1977 from the Chicago area. After living out-of-state for 8 years, they returned back home to Austin in December 2015.
He is survived by his wife of 42 years, Deborah Vanko, a sister, Janice Brennan of Illinois, a sister Joan Bakalar and her daughter, Stacey of New Zealand."
The Blues Room #553
Wednesday 7 September 2016
Download episode #553
1. Frank Bang and The Cook County Kings
2. Brenda Boykin - Big Fat Mama
3. The Joey Gilmore Band - A Little Love Always Makes It Better
4. Bruce Katz Band - You Got It
5. Big Walter Horton - Go Long Woman
6. Greg Copeland - Crossroads
7. Junior Wells & Buddy Guy - How Can One Woman Treat A Man So Mean
8. Billie Holiday - You Let Me Down
9. Jesse Dee - On My Mind, In My Heart
10. Liz Mandeville - What Could of Been
11. Anders Osborne - Lean On Me/Believe In You
12. Marcia Ball - We Fell Hard
13. Eric Bibb - Michael Row the Boat Ashore
The Blues Room #548
Wednesday 3 August 2016
Wednesday 3 August 2016
May 6, 1949 - July 6, 2016.
1. Junior Wells - Give Me One Reason
2. Big Jon Atkinson & Bob Corritore - It Wasn't Easy
3. Buddy Guy & Tracy Chapman - Ain't No Sunshine
4. Albert Castiglia - Let's Make Love In the Morning
5. Lightning Red - Lie No More
6. Ben Harper - Ground On Down
7. Lightning Red & EZ Love - Change Is Gonna Come
8. Etta James - Stormy Monday Blues
9. Jeff Healey - See the Light
10. John Long - Things Can't Be Down Always
11. Tony Joe White - Who You Gonna Hoo Doo Now
Dedicated to Lightning Red, May 6, 1949 – July 6, 2016.